Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Welcome to the Gun Show II

Yeah, quite the gun show and true southern exposure. I went to Asheville, NC this weekend and it was....interesting. It was a number of adjectives lumped into "interesting". We arrived early in the afternoon and did the official walking tour. We followed the small footprints on a tourist map pulling it out every so often to assure we were headed in the right direction and to assure everyone else we weren't from around there. We ate lunch, continued touring, then the ladies had a few drinks. I'm not one to drink too much so I was kind of soda-ing it for the night, plus in case we decided that we wanted to sleep I would be there to drive. Needless to say, the night can still get pretty wild. We headed to about 5+ bars one of which we took a pedicab to, possibly by a pro biker however, the only reason I assume this much is because he dragged the three of us through the hills of the city. We ended the night at a dance club with totally bad classic rock which I totally cut a rug to no less. Afterwards I seemed to have stolen a pizza which I was sure someone forgot about and one of my friends was totally grossed out that I was eating it. Dangerously delicious. Me and the inebriated ladies headed to find a hotel because we were sure that would be easier than finding a camp site and setting up a tent. To my disappointment at the time, we found no such housing. Instead, around 3 am we found an RV campground which we decided to stay at. Since I was driving we let the two other ladies figure out the form (which took I would guess 20 minutes). During this time one continually made donut rounds with the golf cart. Once the form was finally filled in the two hopped back in the car and we were visited by a shirtless man pointing a rifle at my face. After explaining to him that we weren't messing around we were just looking for some lawn space at 3am he finally put the gun down and let us set up camp. Much to my surprise it was a quick process and once the intoxicated settled down I fell right asleep.




In the end I accomplished a few goals; (1) Touring Asheville; (2) A true southern experience. Unfortunately this experience was not drinking moonshine with a fried chicken dinner and some Big and Rich in the background, but a gun pointed at my face will do just the same.



Till next time.

Caitlin

No comments: