Friday, August 29, 2008

Life lessons, age 8

I remember that time I had just moved into a new house with all of our possessions fully boxed. I'm talking from one country to another, a serious packing job. This house had the ultimate basement as well. Huge in my 8 year old eyes. I created the ultimate play city. I had boxes which became ice cream shops, restaurants, you name it. I played in it everyday. This was the year 1991, the same year as hurricane Bob. We, up north, don't get storms like you do here in the south and when we do they are relatively mild. This was a big one. Houses, cars, boats...all destroyed. Places were flooded. This included the basement of our newly domesticated home. My city was destroyed. I remember wading through the water pleading with my father to save what we could. No, Caitlin...it's gone. I wanted nothing more than to dry out the boxes accepting the fact that they might not look as good but I couldn't. Devastated.

No comments: