Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A New Begining

Saturday, Saturday, Saturday. It was a whirl wind weekend, slightly disappointing, definitely a training lesson. I got on the line with a few other girls for my first non-collegiate short track. My least favorite mountain event. Arriving later than I liked with little time to warm up I attempted to take a look at the course. I started off and took my first right into the woods. It was surprisingly difficult and looked mighty long considering I had to make it all the way back to that spot I had begun at. It was pretty slippery and I lost my wheel on a root. Bummer. This was not going to be fun. I ventured back to the start without finishing the “course” only to find out I had gone XC style. After a poor warm up and no expectations for the course I got on the line. To no avail the race went poorly. It's hard mentally to get on a line with so few girls and know that one has been to a world championship, at least one other is pro, one has time to train 25 hours per week (her words, not mine) and there are only one or two more with fantastic legs. I then went on to the super D which had a LeMond's start. LeMond's start? Really? Yeah. Obviously I fell picking up my bike so I was last in the woods but when I got in I was unable to pass the girl in front of me. The course didn't allow. I was pretty pumped that I easily caught up but wasn't pumped that I couldn't pull through. Anyway, at that point I felt ready to race the short track. I realize what I need to do better.(super D course pre-rain above)

(some guys bike post super D race - stolen picture)

Sunday.....Sunday, Sunday. Since the boys I went with didn't want to preride on Saturday and, well, they were my means of transportation, I was stuck getting to the race late, again, and unbenounced of what was to be. My warm up was poor and new girls approached the line. One - the D2 national champ. Crap. I got on the line thinking “crap”. Doesn't do much for my confidence. It never came. I rode hard but not race hard. I didn't do well.

At first I was severely disappointed but reflecting on the races I realized that all of my bikehood hasn't been a failure, instead I've established a solid building block. I've been riding bikes for 5 years. Five years since my first mountain bike ride and I'm already an “expert”. That's pretty flippin' stellar considering I was a fat kid previous to this. Heck it's my first race of the year. These girls have been traveling the country getting their racing on. I can't be intimidated by them. They didn't come out of the womb winning races, nobody but Barry has. Just close the gap. That's a step. I've got to take this as a quiz, a pop quiz actually (heck, I didn't decide to race until after my 3 hr hard ride on Thursday anyway). I got a C this time. It's OK if I don't get an A next race. It will come.

For next time:

Find a good warm up schedule

Focus on my mental game

Ride for me

No Berry Burst Cheerios before racing. No!

Find race finish boys...if I don't make it to the podium for podium boys, obviously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LeMans start.

But who's counting?